Tuesday, June 7, 2011

MI Arrival



Well, I am on the Road to Romania. Literally. We landed in Budapest a little over an hour ago. Everyone's luggage arrived safely and timely. #PTL. The weather could not be any more gorgeous. It's about 70 degrees and we have the windows rolled all the way down. Everything is lush and green. I can tell from the road how moist the soil is. As I look out the window, I am thankful the trip is not on the highway. Granted, we are only going about 35 mph and it will take over five hours to arrive in Beius, but I'm appreciative of the down time. The houses here (still in Hungary) are a lot like those of the Italian countryside; they aren't of the villa style, but their brightly colored concrete is so similar: yellows, reds, and oranges. Almost each has its own garden. However, there are distinct sects. While I have been to Europe on three separate occasions, I have never ventured into "Eastern" Europe. It's astonishing how different it is from its western sister. Some buildings are decades old, marked with the scars from both World Wars and from communism. While improvements have clearly been made, remnants of the old age are everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment