Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MI Last Post From Beiuş (for now)

Yesterday was not too hectic but I was much too tired to write down anything remotely cohesive. I'm not promising tonight will be amy better, but I can't keep putting it off. 
Monday morning, after a breakfast of bread pudding and bread (I've quit questioning the logic), we attended a Hungarian church in Remetea. It was a small church but packed with attendees, young and old. The wooden walls were lined with brass instruments which we later had the pleasure of hearing during worship. However, I must admit that my favorite part of the service was the seating arrangement. On one side of me sat Geta and on the other sat Sanda. Just being around them fills my heart with joy; thinking of their smiles makes me miss them already. Watching them praise the Lord, the only father they have always had, is one of the most precious things I have ever experienced. Most of the service was in Hungarian, so I'm afraid that I can't tell you much about it. Afterwards, we came back to the clinic for a wonderful Pentacost meal of schnitzel, couscous, and cucumber. 
Lucas, Love of My Life


That afternoon, we hosted a carnival at Casa Josef for all of the local children. I was in charge of the bubble station and, if you know anything about me, you'll know that there are few things I enjoy more than bubbles. Lucas was more than happy to help. Overall, the carnival was a huge success. There were close to 50 children in attendance and the girls were very pleased to have their school friends over to their home to play.


The Local School


On Tuesday, (our last day in Beiuş) we went back to the schools. Courtaney and I sang some songs with the kids and lead a demonstration with Silly Putty. Pretty sure the kids had never seen it before because they were enthralled. I think working in the schools was my favorite thing that I did while I was there. After our lesson, Courtaney and I walked to the post office. After fifteen minutes of miscommunication (and internally vowing that I would take at least two years of Romanian in college), we finally left with some postcards and envelopes. We stopped at The Bridge to lounge in the backyard and write them before heading back to the clinic. 
Later that afternoon, we went to the Lucaciu’s cabin. It was on a large hill in the countryside, about a twenty minute drive from the clinic. The view was absolutely spectacular! We swung with Geta, ate some delicious food (a given), sang Disney songs at the top of our lungs, roasted marshmallows, and picked fresh cherries. 
  
During dinner, I walked over to the table were the Casa Josef girls were eating at sat down in Dia’s empty seat. Suddenly, Geta yelled “No!” Thinking I had invaded the “little kids only” table, I immediately began to apologize; however, Geta promptly kicked Sanda out of her seat so that she could sit next to me. She is easily my favorite of the girls and I cannot wait for Elliot to bring her home so that I may see her all the time. 
That night, after the girls left, we had some great time of fellowship. Earlier that week, we all chose a name for a hat and wrote that person a letter of encouragement (AKA mega warm-fuzzy). We had the opportunity to read some of them and pray over one another-it was a great way to close the week. Peter also shared his testimony. As much as I would love to reproduce it here, I simply cannot for I would not do it justice. 
The next morning (this morning), we woke early to walk the girls to school. I held Dora’s hand the whole way. We laughed and skipped and simply enjoyed our last few minutes together. When we left them in their classroom, I cried a little bit. But I knew in my heart that it wouldn’t be the last time that I’d see them.
When we got back to the clinic, we had a time of devotion and some praise. Then we loaded up the van, bid adieu to the Lucacius, Steve, Allison, and Paul and Jenette (who are remaining in Romania through July) and departed for Budapest. 
Budapest
Our hotel in Buda was a-very-nice. We spent the afternoon walking the city, exploring the market, and dining with Professor Peter, a contact of Dr. Miller’s who took us to dinner at an authentic Hungarian restaurant #delish. 
It honestly feels so weird to be leaving. These past two weeks have flown by. I want so badly to return here someday if only to spend more time with the girls. Please know that your prayers have meant the world to me. I cannot wait to share my story with you in person. See you all very soon!
Love,
Maggie

PS Just heard that the girls got to mail our letters from Romania for us! They are too cute. 
Geta and Sanda Mail Our Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment